Click here to download a printable version of the message notes and discussion questions for the weekend of 03.24.12
Friends Nite Out
March 24 & 25, 2012
Rich C_______________________ with Him and E________________O_______________________.
His unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into His own family by bringing us to Himself through Jesus Christ. And this gave Him great pleasure. EPHESIANS 1:5
So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples. JOHN 13:34,35
THE DREAM KILLER:
We are A______ A_______________________ .
For from within, out of a person’s heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, eagerness for lustful pleasure, envy, slander, pride and foolishness. All these vile things come from within…MARK 7:21-23
For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. ROMANS 3:23
THE DREAM FULFILLED:
The G________________ Rule.
Do for others what you would like them to do for you. This is a summary of all that is taught in the law and the prophets. MATTHEW 7:12 NLT
Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. PHILIPPIANS 2:3
Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. COLOSSIANS 3:13
… All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer. ACTS 2:42
Parts of today’s message taken from John Ortberg’s book, “Everybody is Normal, Until You Get to Know Them.”
All Scripture is from the New Living Translation unless otherwise noted.
1. What is the difference between being in community with a group of committed Christ-followers and just hanging out with a group of people (whether they are Christian or not)?
2. Read John 13:34-35. God’s dream is that we FIRST have rich community with HIM and then, secondly (and simultaneously) have rich community with others. Are you currently experiencing the type of community that Jesus is describing in John 13:34-35?
3. Remember the porcupine illustration? Lee talked about how our different “quills” like anger, jealously, selfishness or impatience can have a negative impact on our relationships with each other. What is your “quill” and how has it impacted your close relationships and what do you need to do in order to “pull in” that quill?
4. John Ortberg wrote a book titled, “Everybody’s Normal Till You Get to Know Them.” The truth is that we are all abnormal in some way – yet, we are always surprised and disappointed at each other’s quirks and failures. How well do you handle yourself when those close to you disappoint or fail you?
5. At CedarCreek, we believe that groups (LifeGroups, New Christian LifeGroups or Life Support) are the place for spiritual growth to happen. Our groups are places for Christians to grow, encourage and serve each other.
1. If you are in a group, share a significant experience that you’ve had in that group (even if it isn’t your current group).
2. If you aren’t in a group, why have you not joined one OR have you had a bad experience in a previous group that you need to resolve?
6. Read Acts 2:42,44-46. Notice how all of the Christians were totally devoted to community? Here are a few questions to ask yourself when it comes to the mega-question: “Am I devoted to Christ-Centered community?”
1. Am I experiencing the Bible (reading and discussing scripture) with other Christ-followers?
2. Am I sharing my life experiences – both good and bad – with people I trust to care about me, pray for me and hold me accountable to living according to God’s truth?
3. Am I regularly getting together with other Christ-followers to share meals and spending time together and getting to know each other?
4. Am I sharing prayer together regularly with other Christ-followers?
7. What is your next step to living out God’s dream for rich Christ-Centered community in your life?