Click here to download a printable version of the message notes and discussion questions for this weekend.
Hungry for Worship
P_______ that E_____________ Comes to Faith in Christ.
I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. This is good and pleases God our Savior, who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth. For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus. He gave his life to purchase freedom for everyone. This is the message God gave to the world at just the right time. 1 TIMOTHY 2:1-6
In every place of worship, I want men to pray with holy hands lifted up to God, free from anger and controversy. 1 TIMOTHY 2:8
Women…S_______________ over looks.
And I want women to be modest in their appearance. They should wear decent and appropriate clothing and not draw attention to themselves by the way they fix their hair or by wearing gold or pearls or expensive clothes. For women who claim to be devoted to God should make themselves attractive by the good things they do. 1 TIMOTHY 2:9,10
Men only as E___________
Women should learn quietly and submissively. I do not let women teach men or have authority over them. Let them listen quietly. For God made Adam first, and afterward he made Eve. And it was not Adam who was deceived by Satan. The woman was deceived, and sin was the result. 1 TIMOTHY 2:11-14
- We are commanded to pray for everyone to come to faith in Christ. Share the first name of someone in your life that needs to come to faith in Christ. Are you praying for this person?
- The ultimate goal of CedarCreek’s Four-Step Strategy is to help everyone learn to love Jesus, serve others and tell the world about Christ. Review each step of the strategy and discuss your individual involvement at each level.
- At the time Paul was writing, Christians were under great persecution from the government. Yet, Paul admonishes men to pray for their enemies. Why is it so hard for us to pray for our enemies? How is praying for our enemies an act of humility and obedience to God?
- Our country is in the midst of a contentious election year. There are many political debates and strong feelings about our country’s leaders. Discuss 1 Timothy 2:2. How do you feel about Paul’s command? What could happen if all Christ-followers prayed rather than complained?
- In 1 Timothy 2:9-10, Paul discusses how women should dress for church. It’s an uncomfortable, but necessary, discourse in order to help believers stay focused on the purpose of worship. Discuss the dynamics between men and women as well as the significant impact a woman’s appearance can have on a guy’s ability to focus on worshipping God.
- The role of women in ministry is considered “secondary doctrine,” meaning that there is room for differing opinions. Lee explained the three ways 1 Timothy 2:11-14 has been interpreted. What is your opinion on the topic?
- We hold the moderate (middle position) with regards to 1 Timothy 2:11-14, meaning that women can hold any ministry position, including weekend teacher, but not elder. How do you feel about our position?