Click here to download a printable version of the message notes and discussion questions for the weekend of 9.24.11.
Not a Fan
September 24 & 25, 2011
You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had…he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave…PHILIPPIANS 2:5-7
I Surrender My:
…may your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. MATTHEW 6:10
My Father! If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.” MATTHEW 26:39
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 2 TIMOTHY 3:16
Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger…EPHESIANS 4:31 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 2 CORINTHIANS 10:5
Trust in the Lord with all your heart;do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Don’t be impressed with your own wisdom. Instead, fear the Lord and turn away from evil…Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the best part of everything you produce.Then he will fill your barns with grain,and your vats will overflow with good wine. PROVERBS 3:5-10
After a long time their master returned from his trip and called them to give an account of how they had used his money. MATTHEW 25:19
…“‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” LUKE 10:27
“But to you who are willing to listen, I say, love your enemies! Do good to those who hate you. LUKE 6:27
Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. PHILLIPIANS 2:3,4
What about Missional Membership?
Missional Membership is the highest
level of commitment at CedarCreek Church
All Scripture is from the New Living Translation unless otherwise noted.
1. Are you a “flexetarian?” A “flexitarian” is someone who says they follow Christ in every area except for one or two. Where does your life as a Christ-follower break down? Why?
2. In the book, Not a Fan, there is a line that says: “You can’t call Jesus Lord without declaring yourself his slave.” Being a “slave” is undesirable in our society, yet in a scriptural context, the Apostl’s refers to themselves as slaves 130 times in the Bible. Remember back to this weekend’s message. What does being a “slave” to Christ really mean?
3. Complete this sentence: In order for me to totally surrender to God in every area of my life, I need to ___________________________________.
4. How would a totally surrendered life to Christ be different than the life you are living right now? What attitudes, beliefs or habits would change?
5. Fill–in-the-blank: I love Jesus, but sometimes I am still filled with _____________________. What did you learn in this weekend’s message about how to surrender the emotion that is keeping you from living a life that is totally surrendered to God?
6. Being called to surrender our resources (money, property, homes) is something we try to avoid, except in the event of a burglary or armed robbery. Yet, God calls us to willingly surrender our resources to Him. How can you know when you have fully surrendered your resources to God? How close are you to that goal?
7. Describe how loving the Lord with all of your heart, soul, strength and mind can help you love others and your neighbors and to surrender your desire to “always be right” in your relationships with others.