Click here to download a printable version of the message notes and discussion questions for the weekend of 11.19.11.
November 19 & 20, 2011
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”
MATTHEW 5:3 (NIV)
I learned God-worship when my pride was shattered. Heart-shattered lives ready for love don’t for a moment escape God’s notice…PSALMS 51:17 (THE MESSAGE)
ROADBLOCKS TO HUMILITY OR (A BROKEN SPIRIT)
And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost or destroyed?…LUKE 9:25
The message that points to Christ on the Cross seems like sheer silliness…Since the world in all its fancy wisdom never had a clue when it came to knowing God, God in his wisdom took delight in using what the world considered dumb—preaching…to bring those who trust him into the way of salvation…1 CORINTHIANS 1:18-21
There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death. PROVERBS 14:12
…great confidence in their own righteousness…those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” LUKE 18:9-14
ROAD TO HUMILITY
Get A V______________________________of God
…I am doomed, for I am a sinful man. I have filthy lips, and I live among a people with filthy lips…ISAIAH 6:5A
For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.
Bow Down and W______________________________ God
If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved…ROMANS 3:23
Seek Him D______________________________
Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don’t worry about missing out. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. MATTHEW6:33 (THEMESSAGE)
Trust in the Lord…do not depend on your own understanding…PROVERBS 3:5
All Scripture is from the New Living Translation unless otherwise noted.
1. Matthew 5:3 tells us that when we reach the end of ourselves, that is when God is able to work in our lives most. Why is it that we tend to pay attention to God more when our lives fall apart versus of seeking Him when life is good?
2. Look at the other verses in this weekend’s sermon notes. Choose a verse that stands out to you and talk about why you chose it.
3. In this weekend’s message, Lee talked about four road blocks to humility (listed in this weekend’s sermon notes). Are you struggling with any of those and how has that struggle kept you from wholly seeking God? How can you make it less of a stumbling block?
4. Rev. Run of Run DMC says that “chasing pleasure did not fill me” and that he gave up on chasing success when he “hit the top” and realized he was still empty. Is there anything wrong with wanting to be successful or make money? How can we know when our pursuit of success or money is going overboard?
5. There are some people who believe that if they only had (fill in the blank), then life would be great. Yet, God offers salvation – a gift that far outshines anything we could ever earn. Why do people underestimate God’s plan and purpose for their lives and instead pursue money and/or success?
6. Adam Cufr shared the story of how one day he realized that the more he tried to fix his life on his own, the bigger mess he made. One day, Adam realized that he could no longer do life on his own. Have you ever had a time when you hit rock bottom and realized that the only place left to turn was God? What happened once you turned to Him?
7. After listening to this weekend’s message, what have you been challenged to re-think or have you been challenged to make any changes to your life in order to humbly pursue God?