Click here to download a printable version of the message notes for this weekend.
Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect His will really is. ROMANS 12:2 (NLT)
3 REASONS WHY IT IS IMPORTANT TO MANAGE OUR THOUGHTS:
1. BECAUSE MY T_________________ AFFECT EVERYTHING I DO. (CONTROL EVERYTHING)
Above all else, guard your heart [thinking], for it affects everything you do. PROVERBS 4:23 (NLT)
2. THE M_________________ IS THE BATTLEGROUND FOR SIN. (GOOD/EVIL)
For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. ROMANS 7: 22-23 (ESV)
3. BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I CAN HAVE TRUE P_____________ AND H________________.
If your sinful nature controls your mind, there is death. But if the Holy Spirit controls your mind, there is life and peace. ROMANS 8:6 (NLT)
3 CHOICES YOU NEED TO MAKE ON A DAILY BASIS FOR A HEALTHY MIND:
1. F_______________ MY MIND WITH THE TRUTH ON A DAILY BASIS.
JESUS SAID…“And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” JOHN 8:32 (NLT)
2. F_______________ MY MIND FROM DESTRUCTIVE THOUGHTS.
Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are
controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. ROMANS 8:5 (NLT)
3. F_______________ MY MIND ON THE RIGHT THING.
(Discuss these questions in your LifeGroup and/or with your family and friends.)
- Why is your “thought life” so important? What are the dangers of allowing destructive thought patterns to remain unchecked in your life?
- Read 2 Corinthians 10:5. What are some negative thoughts you previously believed about yourself that you need to make captive to Christ?
- Read Philippians 4:8. What are three praiseworthy things that you will commit to focusing on during the remainder of the Transformed series?
- This weekend Tim Butler talked about the importance of putting God’s truth in your mind. There are over 7,000 promises in the Bible. Which one of God’s promises is the most meaningful to you and how will you commit to keeping it on the forefront of your mind?
Digging Deeper with this week’s teaching pastor:
For the duration of the Transformed series, we are asking groups to use the provided materials rather than a video from our teaching pastors. To download discussion questions or to participate in the Tuesday night iCampus discussion, visit our iCampus page.
May 2014 Memory Verse:
“This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!”
2 Corinthians 5:17 (NLT)