Bigger Than I Thought

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

God is bigger than any struggle we face. This weekend, we sang “Bigger Than I Thought” by Sean Curran.

Today, spend time listening to this song again and remember these words throughout the day.

Sean opens up the song by singing, “Speak to me when the silence steals my voice.” Throughout history, silence has plagued humankind. It cripples our minds and blinds us to the truth of our surroundings. Author and poet Clint Smith said, “Silence is the residue of fear.” Faith frees us from the danger of silence.

The Oxford Dictionary defines faith as “trust in someone’s ability or knowledge; trust that someone or something will do what has been promised.”

The definition of faith may seem simple, but all of us struggle with our faith from time to time. We put too much stock into the things we see, hear, touch, or smell. We focus on our humanity, but where do we turn when humanity fails us? What do we do when we lose faith in our humanity?

Hebrews 11: 1-3 (NIV)
1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for. 3 By faith, we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

Our belief doesn’t make us exempt from the struggles of life, but our faith in God will help and guide us through the tough times even when we lose focus. Sean sings, “I believe but help my unbelief…help me reach the faith that’s underneath.” God knows that fear will silence our voices, minds, and hearts. Our trust in him will restore the sound.

Questions:
How do you struggle with keeping your faith? Do you have a go-to Bible verse when you are feeling afraid?

Next Steps:
Find time throughout the week to strengthen your relationship with God. Go deeper into the LivingItOut studies, and find time to pray and have a conversation with God.

21 Days of Prayer:
Day 5 – Connection with God relationally (Romans 8:15)
Father, I come to you in prayer today, thankful that I am your child. You have forgiven me and adopted me as your own. You have made me righteous and restored our relationship. I am so grateful that you are my Father. Thank you for loving me. I love you. Amen.

Day 6 – Faith in God’s ability (Jeremiah 32:17)
Father God, nothing is too hard for you! Through your great power, all things are possible. All authority is yours, all might is yours, and I know that your victory will be complete. You are amazing, and I worship you. I praise you for your power and presence in my life. You are my God, and you are worthy of all praise. Amen.

Day 7 – Worshiping him (Proverbs 18:10)
God, I am in awe of you. Your name is a strong tower, a place of protection and safety for me. I praise you as my healer, my shepherd, and my banner of victory. You are my peace, my provider, my righteousness, and my sanctifier. Your name is great, and I worship you. Amen.

This post was written by Jaron Camp, a regular contributor to the LivingItOut Bible Study.

Leave a Comment?

We would love to hear how the LivingItOut is making a difference in your life. Let us know how today’s post inspired, challenged, or encouraged you by leaving a comment here.

Want to be a part of the LivingItOut team?

We are always looking for people who are passionate about writing and proofing to serve on the LivingItOut team. If you are interested, email LIO@cedarcreek.tv today!

Printable version of this week’s LIO study:

Click Here

More Resources

Series Theme Verses
Weekly Discussion
RightNow Media

12 replies
  1. Jeffery Ovens
    Jeffery Ovens says:

The quotes from Montaigne yesterday and Smith today will be displayed in my work and home offices. Great perspectives of two areas I struggle with.

TRN2GOD, my favorite personalized license plate that I have seen.

2. Julie Estep
    Julie Estep says:

Music is my favorite way to connect with God. I love this song! I will listen to it today and contemplate. Thank you for your encouraging words today!

3. Bryan Bockert
    Bryan Bockert says:

If I struggle in faith I reflect on all the times God has brought me through something in the past.

4. Marna Ward
    Marna Ward says:

I’ve definitely experienced silence as a result of fear. Great reminder that when I do, I’m not alone. I can listen to that song, pray and be assured of who God is. Thanks Jaron!

5. Joe Ernst
    Joe Ernst says:

Faith – Peter and Andrew immediately gave up their livelihood to follow Jesus just because he said “follow me”. How well did they even know Jesus at that point? In contrast, the no named rich guy who apparently kept all the commandments was not willing sell everything and follow Jesus. He must have known something about Jesus since he ran up to Him and asked how to inherit eternal life. I often wonder what I would do if Jesus asked me to sell everything, quit my job and follow him? I struggle with faith when my plan and God’s will are not aligned. “I believe but help my unbelief…help me reach the faith that’s underneath.” Love the song and the fact that it will be stuck in my head all day! Thank you Jaron for planting that seed!

6. Amy Crofts
    Amy Crofts says:

Love the line “our belief doesn’t make us exempt from the struggles of life, but our faith in God will help and guide us through the tough times even when we lose faith”. Such a great reminder! Thanks!

7. Jaime Shank
    Jaime Shank says:

I love the line “our faith in God will help and guide us through the tough times even when we lose focus.” Such a practical thing to remember when circumstances are beyond what we can “see”. A practical way I can implement this is to ask my close friends and mentors to remind me or ask me what my focus is when I get caught up in the struggle. Giving them with this tool while life is calm will help my community bring my vision back to Jesus, when I can’t remember that focus myself being caught in the whirlwind.

8. Sean McGee
    Sean McGee says:

I am really liking the daily readings that connect to the message. A perfect way to reflect on Bens message and put focus on God throughout the week. Thank you!

9. Nathan Campbell
    Nathan Campbell says:

Thank You Jaron! I love when someone breaks down a worship song. To often when we sing we some times don’t understand what we are singing. I love this song so much. I love when it gets to the bridge and we sing “I will rest in the Father’s Hands. Leave the rest in the Father’s Hands.” Because man the struggle is real some times and we just need to rest and leave it all to him.

10. Devin Cooper
    Devin Cooper says:

There have been some amazing seasons in my life where it seems like it’s every day I’m hearing from God in a personal and very real way. I have seen Him move on my behalf and it’s has given me such confidence and excitement in my faith and relationship with God!
    And then there are the wilderness seasons…
    Lately it feels like I’ve been wandering aimlessly, dry, quiet, farther from God than I’d ever like to be.. sin will do that to us..
    Now, I know the good/right steps I should be taking, and I’m so ready for change, so I’ve begun taking steps in faith, though it’s not easy. The hardest part I think has been just not feeling close to God, not feeling like there’s anything changing.. when we don’t see the results right away, it’s easy to get discouraged, easy to let our faith fail us.. but that’s just it, Faith is the substance of what we hope for, the evidence of what we do not see!(Hebrews 11:1)

So it’s in hard times and wilderness seasons like these when I pray to God, “I believe, but help my unbelief”
    And I hold on to those words I know are true even when I don’t feel it, “You understand me, you understand me God”. No matter how big or small our problems may seem, He’s bigger than we realize and He’s right there with us.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!