Click here to download a printable version of the message notes and discussion questions for the weekend of 8.6.11.
Before I Die I Want To…
Make the World a Better Place
Lee Powell, Senior Pastor
August 6 & 7, 2011
IT IS THE CALLING OF E_______ CHRISTIAN TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE BY…
For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. EPHESIANS 2:10
…O___________ THE COMMANDS OF JESUS…
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you… MATTHEW 28:20
…TO L_____ OUR NEIGHBOR AS OURSELVES, WHICH INCLUDES THE LEAST IN SOCIETY…
…‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these …you were doing it to me!’ MATTHEW 25:40
(Good Samaritan)…now go and do the same. LUKE 10:37
…AND TO INVEST OUR TIME, T________ AND TREASURE IN TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT JESUS.
…you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere… ACTS 1:8
Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. MATTHEW 6:20
All Scripture is from the New Living Translation unless otherwise noted.
Living It Out – Discussion Questions
(Discuss these questions in your LifeGroup and/or with your family and friends.)
ICEBREAKER QUESTION: Do you have a “bucket list” of things you want to do before you die? If so, share your bucket list. If not, name one thing that you want to accomplish before the end of your life.
1. Name someone who you admire because of the contributions that he or she has made to society. How have you been inspired by his or her life?
2. During this weekend’s message, you watched the video stories of a number of individuals who have or are contemplating how they are going to make a difference in the world. Which story had the most impact on you?
3. Most people – perhaps you – want to make the world a better place. However, there is the difference between being a socially-conscious contributor to society and a Christ-follower who seeks to make a difference because of his or her faith? What’s the difference?
4. What is the difference between “success” and “significance?” If you look back on the last year of your life, which track do you seem to be on? Have you been challenged to re-think what you’ve been doing?
5. Every human being is called to make the world a better place, but Christians have an even higher calling. How can your decision to intentionally share the gospel message with others make a difference in our world?
6. Read Acts 1:8. When it comes down to the opportunity to share the gospel message here in our area or somewhere across the globe, there are some who believe that we should concentrate our efforts here at home and when we are done THEN we can go into the world. Why is that viewpoint flawed?
7. Making a difference is about investing all that you have (time, talents and treasure) into the future of something that will grow into significance. What gifts, skills, talents or treasure do you have at your disposal to invest into truly making a difference in the world? Do you have any ideas about what you think God might be leading you to do?
Living It Out – Scripture Memory
(Memorize this verse for the month of August.)
EPHESIANS 2:10 (New Living Translation)
For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created
us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the
good things he planned for us long ago.